You’re a mobile specialist looking for interesting problems. We’re a diverse network of strategists, developers and content creators looking to use mobile technology to make the world a better place
About this role
Praekelt Foundation is looking for an Front End Developer, preferably one with strong UX or design skills, who can help our team design and build websites and apps for a range of our clients and partners, including Girl Effect, UNICEF, Ford Foundation and the UNFPA. Our organisation is founded on the belief that a person shouldn’t need a smartphone or laptop to access potentially life-saving information and online services, so we work to create digital experiences which are accessible on virtually any device – from the basic mobile phones which most of the world has access to, right through to the smartphones and tablets enjoyed by the lucky few.
We’re looking for someone to help us take our ideas and designs and to turn them into a reality. Working with our strategy, design and development teams from start to finish, you’ll have a chance to contribute to projects that improve the lives of people across the globe, from HIV and AIDS patients in South Africa who need encouragement and support from clinics to teenage girls in Indonesia looking for access to mobile savings accounts.
- Developing a rich,responsive front end: we’ll rely on you to develop interface designs into fully functional front end experiences that are accessible across browsers and devices;
- Advocate for the end user: we have a strong engineering team that is focussed on backend concerns (e.g. infrastructure, performance, architecture). You’ll be expected to work with the strategy team to fight for the interests of the end user
- User Experience: ou’ll also take on the responsibility for specifying, designing and testing user experiences; including the rapid development HTML prototypes which are easily understood by both clients and developers
Skills & Experience
- Familiarity with test driven development. Writing tests is a team core competency if you don’t currently write tests, we can teach you.
- Expertise in progressive enhancement and responsive design.
- Strong opinions and the ability to advocate for the end-user
- Expertise in developing UI for feature phones
- We use Git. If you work with us, you will use Git for revision control, and GitHub.
How to apply
We'd love to speak with you. Please contact email@example.com with your CV and the reasons you feel you'd be well suited to this position. Unfortunately, we will not be able to respond to everyone but will reach out to applicants who we want to interview within 2 weeks. Praekelt is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin or disability.